Learning about solar energy
At this point you may be asking yourself, ‘So, how does solar energy work?’
- First, your solar panels absorb sunlight, which photovoltaic (PV) cells convert into direct current (DC) electricity.
- The DC electricity generated by your solar panels passes through an inverter, which transforms the DC electricity into alternating current (AC) electricity. AC electricity is the same type of power that is delivered by your utility company.
- The AC electricity is sent to your electrical panel, or “breaker box”, which powers your lights, electronics and appliances.
- Your utility meter will move backward or slow when your system generates power. Excess energy produced during the day will flow out to the grid and offset the cost of your electricity use at night, when solar power isn’t being produced.
- The more electricity your solar energy system pushes out to the utility grid, the less you will pay on your electricity bill when your solar panels aren’t producing. Depending on use and solar panel efficiency, the electricity your system creates may cover a large portion or all of your electric bill.
Don’t wait any longer on getting started with solar energy for your home in Buffalo, NY. Call Solar Buffalo today for a free home solar consultation. There is no risk. There is no obligation. The worse that can happen is you’ll save $100 on your next utility bill.